Do you offer Yoga Teacher Training (YTT) Information Sessions?
Yes! 889’s Information Sessions are 1 hour in length and will give you the opportunity to speak with a few of the program Faculty. We will go over what to expect in the program, individual modules, and spend time answering your questions. You are welcome to join us for a complimentary class with one of your Faculty members directly prior to the Info Session as well. Check out our Events Page for Info Session dates and times.
Who is your YTT Program for?
The 889 YTT Program is for both the committed and curious practitioner. It is equal parts demanding and transformational. For that reason, we believe the training is for those seeking to teach and those seeking to learn on a deeper level. We see some graduates go on to have fruitful yoga teaching careers and others relish in a newfound relationship to their practice, the art of yoga and themselves.
How proficient in yoga do I need to be to enroll?
We recommend a minimum of 6 months practicing yoga and/or meditation or studies in other related mind-body disciplines. We strongly recommend that you begin a regular practice at 889 prior to the program commencing, with a focus on 889 Vinyasa Flow classes. This ensures you get the most out of your 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training Program.
What have past graduates said about the program?
Read through some of our most recent Graduate Testimonials
Do I need to be interested in teaching?
As mentioned above, it is not required that you join us because you intend to teach. The 889 YTT is your journey and can take on any unique form you choose it to. While it is shaped to leave you with the skills, confidence, and education for teaching, it isn’t necessary for that to be your chosen path.
How long is each module and when do they take place?
Each module varies in length depending on its contents and what is required of the students in terms of depth and knowledge. We work with the Faculty to decide on how best to deliver the material and what length of time is conducive to the best learning. Some modules are just 3 hours in length, while others are held in 4-8 hour time slots over several weeks (with short breaks throughout the day). View the full YTT Calendar.
What is unique about the 889 YTT?
There are several key elements that set this training apart from any other.
- There is a breadth of knowledge covered in a condensed time in this program – you are going to receive huge value when it comes to education. We are also very thoughtful about the sequencing of modules and your experience as you move from one to the next.
- We’ve introduced the opportunity for mentorship by a practicing Yoga Teacher from 889. You can pair with a teacher within the first weeks of the program and coordinate times to meet for support and arrange opportunities to both observe and attend their classes. We think this partnership can be hugely valuable in your process of discovering your voice as a teacher.
- We offer graduates the opportunity to teach Community Classes immediately following graduation. We’ll work with you to plan, schedule and promote this class. This by-donation class is a great way for you to start practice teaching on the 889 clientele. Having the opportunity to teach at one of Toronto’s best studios will be a huge asset on your resume.
- We take support to the next level within our YTT. This year we are introducing Personal Coaching to each participant to create a more individualized, intentional experience. You’ll have three sessions with our resident 889 Coach and will start to hone in on your intentions while receiving the support you need as you journey through the intensive program. Read more about your Personal Coach.
- You become a Community Member at 889 from the beginning. When you sign up for the full program you receive a Member discount on 889 shop items, special events and workshops. You will gain access to all of our amenities, from shower towels to hair products and tools, to our change room and lounge spaces. You’ll also receive a complimentary unlimited Membership for the duration of the program. Attend as many classes as you’d like and get to know the teachers, staff, and your fellow Members.
What is included in the training?
The program includes:
- 11 weeks of training, comprised of 14 modules
- Partnership and mentoring from an 889 Yoga Teacher
- 3 Personal Coaching sessions
- Unlimited class Membership for the duration of training
- Workbook and training kit – made up of some of our favourite 889 wellness products
- Community building events
- 10% shop discount
What style of yoga is your program based on?
Experience soulful Vinyasa Flow Yoga, influenced by the Prana Flow teachings of Shiva Rea balanced with strong components of Yoga Anatomy, Yoga Philosophy, Restorative Yoga, Sanskrit, Chanting and Meditation. We also offer specialized Modules teaching Yin Yoga, Healing Modalities, and Trauma-Informed Yoga.
Who are the Faculty members and what are their credentials?
Visit our YTT Faculty Page to read all about our incredible teachers!
How many students are accepted into each training?
The capacity of the program is 28 students.
Can I sign up for modules a la carte?
Yes, you absolutely can! Take your time with graduating from the 889 YTT by taking a few modules at a time. This is great for students working with a rigid schedule. Take the modules you can this term, and finish the program next
What if I miss a class?
If you miss a class, we can work with you and the instructor to schedule a makeup time. This time is considered a private session and is priced according to our private class fees.
Will I get teaching experience through this program?
Yes! From the beginning, we’ll have you practicing with your peers in the practical and hands-on modules. Once you’ve graduated, we’ll send you the details for scheduling your Community Classes at the studio. A ‘by-donation’ class will give you the chance to practice your new skills and further immerse yourself in the 889 community.
Are books and reading materials included?
We have a list of recommended books and resources that are not included in the cost of the program but are simply a suggestion to help guide you through the program. There will be 3-5 books and resources that are mandatory to support your learning and are an additional cost to the program.
Will there be homework and assignments throughout the program?
Most work will take place during class time, but you can expect approximately 1-3 hours in addition to class time each week for reading and small assignments.
How many practice hours do I need to complete throughout the program?
It is required that you complete a minimum of 40 practice hours. For our YTT, we’ve broken it down to the following:
- 30 in-class practice hours attending classes at 889
- 3 in-class observation hours – observing and taking notes on teachers you are drawn to at the studio
- 7 in-class practice or observation hours (based on your style of learning, you choose the rest!)
Do you offer a payment plan? If so, how does it work?
We do! The investment for the program is $5,500+hst. We will work with you to create a payment plan that fits into your budget. Upon registration, a $500+hst deposit is required to reserve your spot. From there, we can offer you to break the remaining amount into 2-4 installments. All payments must be finalized by November 23rd, 2018
Okay, I am interested! What’s the first step?
If you’re ready to register, simply click here to make your initial deposit.
If you’d prefer to chat with a member of our Happiness Team, we’d love to meet with you or schedule a phone call. Please click the button below to apply and we will find a time to discuss the 889 Yoga Teacher Training Program.