“Through the YTT program at 889, I had the opportunity to embark on a journey of self-exploration with an incredible group of classmates and teachers who each were unique and special but also like-minded in their quest for greater self-knowledge.”
– YTT Grad
April 5th to June 28th, 2019
- 11-week intensive program: After only 11 weeks of in-depth training and study, you be on track to graduate and start teaching by the summer!
- Maintain your day to day life: work, family and personal, while studying. All classes will take place in the evening after 7pm and on the weekends.
- Module Based Learning: Learn at your own pace. If you cannot commit to the entire program all at once, take each module one at a time, and graduate when you have completed all program requirements.
- Receive all 889 Member Perks: Receive one complimentary towel each time you join us for a class, 10% off The 889 Shop, discounts on 889 workshops and private YTT Mat Storage.
- Build relationships and friendships: for life! And become an integral part of the 889 Community.
- 889 Community Class: upon graduation, you will have the opportunity to teach a community class for 4 weeks on the regular 889 schedule!
WHAT MAKES OUR PROGRAM UNIQUE
- Led by high level, experienced faculty – some of the best teachers in Toronto
- We put a big emphasis on building community between students and staff
- Each student will be partnered with an 889 instructor for one-on-one mentorship throughout the program
- Each student receives three Personal Coaching sessions, tailored to their needs as they move through the program
- Participants receive a complimentary Unlimited Membership to the studio
- Students get the opportunity to teach community classes at 889 post-graduation
Have Questions? Check Out Our FAQ
- Essential Foundations in Teaching: Hatha Postures & Vinyasa with Jodi Fischtein
- The Philosophy of Yoga with Scott Petrie
- Self Awareness Meditation with Tasha Rooke
- Growth & Inquiry: Practice Informs Your Teacher Skills with Jodi Fischtein
- Whole Be-ing, Chakras & Subtle Body Energies with Jodi Fischtein and Carolina Carvalho
- Embodied/Applied Anatomy with Adam Bolton
- Sanskrit + Chanting with Marla Meenakshi Joy
- Teacher Lab: Clear Seeing, Speech & Perception. Tactile Adjustments in Asana with Jodi Fischtein
- Peaks, Valleys & Edgepoints: Vinyasa Kramas with Jodi Fischtein
- Teaching Restorative Yoga with Nora Benian
- Pre and Postnatal Yoga with Tasha Rooke
- Healing Modalities with Justin Haley
- Contemplative Design in Vinyasa Krama with Audrey Gentile
- Teacher’s Arena: Field Work. Moving off Script with Jodi Fischtein
- Teaching Trauma-Informed Yoga with Kim McBean
Click below to read module descriptions.
The 889 Community YTT is unique in its depth, and level of care and support for its students. 889’s Team of Faculty are diverse, highly experienced, Toronto-based teachers, each eager to share their specific area of expertise with you. During 889’s YTT you will be exposed to many different methods of learning, from informal evening chats and powerpoint presentations to quiet meditations and restorative practices to hands-on assists in asana class and practical real-world teaching assignments.
Experience soulful Vinyasa Flow Yoga, influenced by the Prana Flow teachings of Shiva Rea balanced with strong components of Yoga Anatomy, Yoga Philosophy, Restorative Yoga, Sanskrit, Chanting and Meditation. The beautiful medley of modules in 889’s YTT will fully prepare you to begin your transition into a well-rounded teacher. Upon graduation, you will step out into the World with many tools beyond what you need to be successful as a Yoga Teacher.
The Teaching Practicum is a major focus of this program and will prepare you to confidently guide an integrated class to students of all ages and levels of experience upon graduation. You will be thoroughly trained on how to use your voice, hands-on assists, listening skills, observation skills and effective sequencing to enhance your classes. In addition, our faculty will encourage you to question everything you learn throughout the program so that you develop strong critical thinking skills. We encourage you to take the time to self-reflect on a deeper level so that you develop your own unique style of teaching.
In addition to the support and guidance from Faculty, each student will receive one-on-one Personal Coaching from our resident Coach. For many, the journey through a 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training initiates the peeling back of many layers. Not only does the experience require an incredible amount of focus, dedication, and learning, it also invites students to reflect on their own relationship to the practice and open their hearts in ways they haven’t before. Through this process, it is only natural that one becomes a bit raw, more vulnerable, perhaps needing some additional support to navigate the new waters that a teacher training can churn up. Because we see our YTT students as whole beings, seeking mentorship beyond the classroom, we have added this unique and holistic offering to the program.
This program is for absolutely everyone. If you are not sure if you would like to become a yoga teacher but are interested in diving deeper into your personal practice, your body, and your mind, this program is definitely for you.
To learn more, please book a complimentary one-on-one meeting with one of our Happiness Team members by emailing:
HOW TO PARTICIPATE:
1.) 11-week intensive program: Take the course in its entirety, April through June, and be on track to be a certified Yoga Teacher by the summer!
2.) “A la carte” or “module-based” learning: Take modules one at a time over any amount of time that you choose. Enroll in a few modules this school year, take a few more next season, and so on, until you complete the program in its entirety. We simply require that you let us know the year you plan to graduate. Early registration is key in order to be able to complete modules on an a-la-carte basis.
If you choose to complete your training module by module, our team can help you to decide on the order in which to complete them. Some elements will need to be learned prior to others – connect with our team to discuss your options.
The first step, once you understand the details of the program and have all of your questions answered, is to complete the Application Form. Once submitted, we will review your application and will be in touch with you within one week.
IS THIS PROGRAM FOR YOU?
The 889 YTT is for someone looking to deepen their knowledge of yoga, in its many forms. Some students have a clear intention to teach upon graduation, others just want to enjoy the path of self-discovery. This course offers valuable life skills which will carry and elevate you far beyond your yoga mat (ask any of our Graduates!). These include embodied movement and physiological awareness, critical thinking skills, presenting arguments, and conscious communication. The schedule is manageable for those running a home and for those with full-time careers or studies with some advance planning and commitment. On top of the classroom hours, you should expect 2-3 hours of reading and homework per week.
See what graduates have said about their 889 YTT experience.
A minimum of 6 months practicing yoga and/or meditation or studies in other related mind-body disciplines is recommended.
We also recommend that you begin a regular practice at 889 prior to the program commencing, with a focus on 889 Flow classes. This ensures you get the most out of your 200-hour Yoga Teacher Training Program.
889 Community is an accredited Yoga Alliance School. Upon completion of the program and final exam requirements, you will be qualified to register with the Yoga Alliance in order to receive your 200-hour Teacher Training certification. This is a 200-hour Yoga Alliance (www.yogaalliance.com) certified program.
To inquire about Program cost and available payment plans, please email email@example.com
BONUS FOR 889 MEMBERS: Refer a friend to the program and receive $100!